How To Know If You Need A New Water Heater
A water heater is an appliance that you take for granted until it dies on you, leaving you with cold showers, dirty dishes, and maybe even a puddle of rusty water on your basement floor.
The good news is that your water heater will usually tell you it’s in trouble before the worst happens. Here are some telltale signs that it could be time to replace your water heater:
- Rising energy bills – Water heating typically accounts for about 20 percent of your home energy bills – if you see your bills rising even though heating oil and propane prices haven’t budged, it could be a result of the declining efficiency of your water heater.
- More hard water stains – If you begin to see new signs of hard water, such as white stains on your silverware and glassware, it could indicate a lime buildup in your water heater’s storage tank – a problem that reduces efficiency and could shorten the life of your water heater if left untreated.
- Leaks / rusty water – Water under your tank or rusty water coming from it are often signs that your water heater is corroding on the inside – a problem that could get messy before long.
- Odd sounds – Odd sounds coming from your hot water storage tank usually indicate sediment build-up – a problem that eventually lead to costly water heater repairs or a premature replacement if it is not addressed.
- Age – A storage water heater (one with a tank) will last about 10 years on average, assuming it is properly maintained by a professional; once you pass the decade mark, investing in a replacement water heater usually makes more sense than repairing it.
Water heater installations and repairs in northern North Carolina
If you’re experiencing these or any other problems, it could be time to repair or replace your water heater. Our water heater experts will help you choose a model that’s the right fit for your space, needs, and budget, then install it quickly and correctly so you can get back to your hot showers and dry basement.
In the market for a new water heater? We’ve got the energy-efficient, low-cost water heater options you need. Contact Thomas Brothers Oil & Propane today for a FREE, no-obligation estimate on water heater installations and repairs in Caswell County, NC, plus Alamance, Orange, Person and Rockingham counties in North Carolina and Pittsylvania, Nottaway, Lunenburg and Mecklenberg counties in Virginia!